Day 175

Finally, this is my second sketchnotes from Day 2: Animation Masterclass with Andrew Gordon (Pixar's Directing Animator) and a guest speaker Victor Navone (Pixar's Supervising Animator). . .

((ok this is embarrassing, it was supposed to be 'LOCOMOTION' not 'locomotive' on demo reel tips!))

Andrew has been an animator at Pixar and worked on numerous notable characters such as Mike from Monsters Inc., Gill from Finding Nemo, and Edna from The Incredibles. He also worked on A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Ratatouille and Monsters University.

Victor has worked at Pixar for about 15 years. He came to talk about character developments of Inside Out (2015).

This sketchnote was quite tricky to make because Andrew and Victor shared A LOT...like, seriously A LOT. There were heaps of examples, references, heaps of methods and analysis, and heaps of exercises. They both mainly talked about the technical parts of animation, which includes pose design, acting, gestures (hands, legs, arms, etc), facial expressions (eyes, brows, mouth, etc), emotions, character appeal, and so forth. As someone who wasn't keen about details and technical stuff, I honestly needed more than a day to process their lectures. My head could explode from the plethora of information. It's really kind of them sharing their experiences and knowledge with us.

It was definitely an insightful session. I respect and admire Pixar workers even more. These speakers convinced me that it takes great talent, curiosity, and even greater effort (hard-work, commitment, discipline, patience and teamwork) to produce a single masterpiece. I guess that's what distinguish Pixar animation from other movies. ((Not saying that other animation studios have less talented artists, though! It's just different...)) I believe Pixar holds critical values, ethics, mission and vision that are consistent and evident in every film they've created.

What's more, Pixar believes in the "magic" of traditional technique of animating. In other words, no mo-cap (motion capture) or ultra-realism for any Pixar production! Whoa.

I used to deeply wish to work at Pixar as their story artist or writer (yeah I suck at animating), but now that I've seen how much of perfectionists, idealists, and detailed people these workers are, I adjusted my wish to: marrying someone who works on Pixar animation. Ha-ha. That way, I could still take a peek at their current and future projects without having to experience the overwhelming details and high-demanding job. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment