Day 80

Once upon an evening, I cried my eyes out reading Joni Eareckson Tada's book: Choices...Changes. The book is about how Joni met her husband, Ken. Joni suffered a fracture between the fourth and fifth cervical levels and became a quadriplegic, paralysed from the shoulder down since an accident in 1967 when diving. She lives an inspiring story and continues to minister to disabled people and many more.

Compared to my struggle with MS, hers seems more unbearable, in my opinion. She was a beautiful talented young woman, then suddenly her world turned upside down. She couldn't do many things that normal people do. Without doubt, she experienced anger, depression, frustration, doubts, fear, etc. I could only imagine. Among Joni's many inspiring testimonies, what really touched me—especially after reading that book—was the story of her relationship with Ken. Their interaction since the beginning was God-centred. I could see how God led both of them in every step and every decision that they've made. It was reciprocal and well-matched. This kind of selfless relationship reminded me of Ian and Larissa Murphy as well as Nick and Kanae Vujicic. Their stories are purely God's grace and blessing.

Sometimes I couldn't help but wonder if that would be my story too. However, like Joni before she married Ken, I have my fears. Even without my current physical condition, I would still have doubts. As a person (with or without MS), I am not always delightful, or fun, or encouraging, or wise. I could be really annoying and high-maintenance. I couldn't even stand being with myself at times. This is why people like Ken (or Larissa or Kanae) is truly godsend. It's hard to believe such unconditional love still exists at this present time. I genuinely think 'normal couples' out there should look up to these couples so they will not easily give up whenever they face disagreements or conflicts.


I don't know if I'll ever meet someone as selfless, considerate, strong and godly as Ken, who loves and tolerates me. More difficult questions would be, do I deserve one? Would I be a suitable partner for him? How do I know?
What I know for sure is that up till now, I've been surrounded by plenty of godsends: my family, best-friends, and even those whom I just recently met but already care about me. God provides what I need so I'm not lack of love. For that, I am content and forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment