Forbearing February

One of a few ways I'm sabotaging my life is by spending so much time preparing for the worst-case scenario that I leave myself no time or energy to pursue the best-case scenario. I spend so much time preparing things to go wrong that I often find myself completely unprepared for things to go right. Why is it so hard for me to expect the best and trust that things can also go well?

(Not-so) surprisingly, my devotional reading on Valentine's day talked about being at peace with the future. Ha. Sounds like something I should (always) learn.
"Many voices ask for our attention. But underneath all these often very noisy voices is a still, small voice that says, you are my beloved, My favour rests on you. That's the voice we need to hear the most of all. We need to stop placing our trust in our own ambitions and put our trust completely in God, finding peace in the future God has for us."

Could that be more timely?

Then, I meditated on Psalm 37 and wrote down what God wants me to do regarding the future (instead of creating my own fickle scenarios):
  • Open up before God, keep nothing back
  • Quiet down before God, be prayerful
  • Work for the good and don't quit
  • Keep my eyes on the healthy soul
  • Put my hope in the Lord
  • Travel steadily along His path
  • Observe the godly
  • Wait passionately for God

I was also encouraged to draw up my 5-year-plan with all the things I'd like to achieve during this time (which, in my calculation, is between 2017 - 2021!) After making the list, I wrote down what I need from God to achieve my desires and what things I am willing to let go of / things I sense I need to offer to Him.

What I need from God:
- His sustaining grace for strength, health and wisdom
- His provision (sufficient funds) for traveling, grad school, marriage, household and family

What I am willing to let go of:
- My pride
- My own understanding
- My own scenarios
- My self-centred-ness

Things I need to offer to Him:
- My obedience and willingness to be led and shaped by God
- My heart to minister to others
- My time and energy to build bridges and help communities
- Humility
- Forbearance

Giving up control definitely helps maintaining peace in my heart. Right now and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment