Day 74

Since I started working at the promotional department in my office, I have become more aware of commercials, adverts, billboards, movie trailers, basically anything that tries to convince you to do or buy something. I am not a marketing person. I just enjoy promoting good stuff. In other words, I enjoy displaying things that I believe is (supposed to be) good —as enthralling as possible— in less than 1 minute (if a video) or 10 words (if a print) to a certain audience. Most of the time, I will look at an advertisement and pay attention to the content, visual aesthetics, wordings/texts, and font choices (bad use of fonts make me very uncomfortable). I used to spend a lot of my time visiting Ads of The World to get ideas and be inspired.

However, my role at work is not as a graphic designer or an animator. For that reason, I am more attentive to copywriting. Do you realise how time-consuming and mind-troubling it could be to write a catchy short statement? Now that I mentioned it, I actually kind of miss my job. He-he.

Anyway, that's not my initial contemplation. The other day I watched this video ad for the Google app. It wasn't a flashy promo, but the 'supers' (i.e.: superimposed text over the image) caught my attention:

"A question is the most powerful force in the world.
A question can start you on an adventure.
A question can spark a connection.
A question can change how you see the world.
A question can take you anywhere."

This reminded me of a session during GSP by Randy Raysbrook about 'Curiosity'. From his talk, I noted that the right question asked at the right time can make a difference. People don't always look for answers when they ask questions. Randy shared, the purpose of a question could be relationship or reflection. It is so true. At times, we ask someone a question, which we may already know the answer, just so that we can talk and connect to that person. Hopefully, in the end, friendship will grow from it.

"Your questions reflect your values. Your heart is revealed by your questions."
- R. Raysbrook


No comments:

Post a Comment