Day 118

As someone who is more orderly than spontaneous, I often wish all aspects in life have its own formula or recipe to follow through. I reckon if I could follow the instructions step by step, I could make life less complicated.

Inevitably, there is no set of formula and so I feel lost on the way.

Being a follower of Jesus, I have become familiar with the concept of knowing/pursuing/doing God's will while I am still alive. But what is it really? Is it absolute or relative? Is there also a set of instructions to find that out? How to not miss it? How to not get stuck in confusion while looking for it? Is it a goal or a way of life?

I may never get definite answers for all those questions, but Rick Warren shared something in regards to this subject that helped me to comprehend it more clearly.

"God's will is not a formula.

In our culture, we want everything to be easy. We want things to follow a simple formula so it will instantly change our lives. We want a step-by-step guide.

But there's a problem with this approach: There's no room for mistakes. If God's will is a recipe, what happens if you leave out one ingredient? If you leave baking soda out of a recipe, you've got the difference between a birthday cake and a pancake. What if you have '52 steps to Knowing God's Will', and you leave out number 37?

God's will is not a closed system. It is dynamic! It is not always an issue of choosing A or B. In fact, many times you can choose from A to Z, and any of them will be OK. It's your choice. Why would God give you a brain and not expect you to use it? He lets you make choices, and He gives you second chances.

If God's will is not a feeling or a formula, then what is it?

It is a relationship (1 Corinthians 1:9).

The better you get to know Him, the less confusion you're going to have about what His will is. Get to know God, and everything else becomes secondary."
- Rick Warren

I like that revelation. It makes me feel more relaxed living my life and achieving my dreams, because I know whatever it is that I pursue is God-approved. I may change my desire or dream in the process, and it doesn't matter. His will is for me to know Him more and deeper along the way.

God's will is a relationship. A wonderful intimate friendship with Him. In this life, I think there is no higher or more desirable goal than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment