Day 116

I take tremendous delight in film discussions, especially if my interlocutor has fascinating views to share. But when I talk about movies, I could be quite. . .let's say, baffling.

First of all, I am not a movie expert nor a filmmaker, so my film reviews or movie taste might not be credible. My preference could be biased too. For instance, I could never objectively comment on callous or brutal movies, because horror isn't my glass of water. Or, I would still commend movies by my favourite directors even though its story lacks clarity or has flaws. And, I would gladly watch a cheesy movie just for the sake of instant pleasure. Movies that I would say an easy 'yes' to are mostly by Woody Allen, Wes Anderson, or Walt Disney.

Just like the music I listen to, I usually classify the kind of movies to watch into two groups: extraverted movies (the ones I'll watch with other people) and introverted movies (the ones I'd rather watch by myself). Usually 'extraverted' movies are the movies I end up watching in the cinema, and the 'introverted' ones are movies I watch on-line or in DVDs. It's hard for me to go through a week without having something to watch and discuss. Thanks to my 255-days off, I have so much time to check out old and new films. These last couple of months I've watched more movies than I did last year, which is exciting!

I personally feel that movies these-days are lack of well-written script, believable characters, and unpredictable twists. Movies these-days rely so much on visual effects, action, speed, likeable casts, and familiar plots. I am not against these trends, but where did creativity go? Recently, I found an article that wrote, "need a break from explosions, mayhem and men in tights? These movies might help." That's exactly what I look for whenever I want to watch something!

If you're like me, who are done with the blockbusters, check out the lists below.

10 movies I watched in the past few months that deserve more viewers (*):
1. PK
2. Song of the Sea
3. The Way
4. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
5. The Royal Tenenbaums
6. Fantastic Mr Fox
7. The Road Within
8. Vincent Will Meer
9. Liberal Arts (I have watched this one twice)
10. Inside Out (this is the most popular summer movie which I enjoyed)

10 movies I look forward to seeing:
1. Stories We Tell
2. Two Days, One Night
3. The End of the Tour
4. Irrational Man
5. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
6. Love and Mercy
7. Brooklyn
8. Boulevard
9. People Places Things
10. Knight of Cups

(*) thank you for the recommendations, bang Agus and mba Natali!

2 comments:

  1. hey, Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani is on the list ;)

    ReplyDelete